Tips for a Safe and Fast Breast Augmentation Recovery
At Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ravi Somayazula, offers breast augmentation patients something unique in Houston. His Rapid-Recovery Breast Augmentation technique helps his patients recover faster and better than most. With other breast augmentation techniques, patients need to take about one week off from work. Our Rapid recovery program helps patients resume working within two to three days. Some of our patients have even chosen to return to work the day after surgery. Keep in mind, however, that there will be certain physical activity limitations for six to eight weeks following surgery.
Some discomfort, swelling, and tightness across the chest are common following breast augmentation. This can be dealt with through medication, rest, and gentle movement, like walks, that can help get the circulation flowing. Discomfort is typically short-lived and bruising will diminish on its own. Most swelling will subside within four to eight weeks, but some residual swelling may be present for a few months. This is normal and not any cause for alarm.
By week six, many women feel ready to resume more demanding exercises and activities. Some women choose to wait until week eight before increasing physical activity. What will be best for you is entirely dependent on your body, your needs, and your desires.
Rapid Breast Augmentation Recovery
The best recovery experience begins with the best surgical techniques, such as:
- Electrocautery of the blood vessels in the breast implant pocket. This surgical technique takes a bit more time than the traditional blunt dissection method, but it significantly reduces bleeding, bruising, and postoperative pain
- Exparel® injections. A local anesthetic, Exparel® can be injected into breast tissue to greatly reduce reliance on pain medications during the first few days of breast augmentation recovery. A single injection can provide relief for up to four days
- Keller Funnel® implant insertion. This no-touch method of breast implant insertion allows for a smaller incision, reduces tissue damage, and minimizes infection risks. Even larger silicone breast implants can be placed with this method, which reduces trauma and postoperative discomfort
These steps, all taken by board-certified Houston plastic surgeon Dr. Ravi, can help speed recovery time by reducing risks, minimizing tissue damage, and providing non-narcotic relief from discomfort. Dr. Ravi utilizes his many techniques to give you the best experience and results, but there are several things you can do as well.
You can improve your breast augmentation recovery by:
- Wearing your compression garment as instructed
- Following all pre and postoperative instructions
- Staying hydrated
- Eating healthy and nourishing foods
- Allowing yourself space and time to rest
- Maintaining all of your postoperative appointments
In the first 24 hours following breast augmentation surgery, it is a good idea to have help from an adult friend or family member who can take care of more demanding tasks while you rest. Make yourself a comfortable space before your procedure so that you can relax as soon as you get home.
Be sure to stay away from any products containing nicotine. This vascular constrictor increases risks for bleeding, infection, and poor incision healing, even when vaped. Before your procedure, Dr. Ravi will provide you with information on how to best prepare, including medications, supplements, and other things that may need to be given up for a time.
During your postoperative appointments, Dr. Ravi will assess your stage of recovery to let you know when it is safe to resume activities. It is always best to wait until you have spoken with Dr. Ravi before taking up more demanding activities during your recovery period. Combined with Dr. Ravi’s advanced techniques and gently touch, your efforts during recovery can help produce optimal results in the shortest time possible.
To learn more about breast augmentation and breast augmentation recovery, call Body by Ravi at 281-242-1061 today. Located in Houston, our board-certified plastic surgeons serve The Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land, and all surrounding areas.