Things to Consider Before Getting Dermal Fillers
1. Who is your injector?Dermal fillers should only be administered by a board-certified physician, not just anyone that says they can do injectables. If you do not know their credentials, never be afraid to ask.
Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics’ Dr. Swapna Gopathi specializes in noninvasive medicine. She has over a decade of experience with dermal fillers and Botox Cosmetic. During your consultation, Dr. Gopathi will review your medical history, examine your skin, and discuss your desired results before determining if you are a good candidate for dermal fillers.
2. What will be used?Dermal fillers are made of a smooth, gel-like substance that immediately plumps the skin to reduce the associated line or crease. However, not every dermal filler is right for every area of the face. There are many unique dermal fillers on the market, each with a different chemical makeup and designed to address a different problem area:
Hyaluronic Acid (HA): A naturally occurring substance, HA is a smooth, hydrating gel that can eliminate fine lines and deep creases. Several FDA-approved fillers that contain HA, including:
• Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus
• Restylane Lyft
• Restylane Refyne
• Restylane Defyne
Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHa): Products such as Radiesse® utilize a calcium substance naturally found in bones to ease wrinkles. The gel is thicker than other fillers, making it good for deeper wrinkles.Poly -L-Lactic Acid: Sculptra® is a Poly-L-Lactic Acid filler, used for deep facial hollowing. Sculptra is a safe, biodegradable, synthetic substance that helps to rebuild the collagen in your skin.
3. What can you expect after the injections?Treatment with dermal fillers takes less than 30 minutes, making your appointment a true ‘lunch-time lift’. Dermal fillers require little to no downtime, meaning you can go back to your busy routine almost immediately. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.Light swelling or mild bruising from the injections, taking up to a week to fade. These can easily be covered by makeup, which can be worn right away. Exercise and alcohol should be avoided for the first 48 hours. This will reduce the chance of localized swelling.
4. How long will the results last?While almost every filler offers immediate results, how long they last will vary according to the product and the treatment area. Plan your filler appointment accordingly if you want to look your best for an upcoming event.
• Juvederm Voluma – sculpts facial contours for 18-24 months
• Juvederm Ultra – works for up to 12 months smoothing deep wrinkles and around the mouth
• Juvederm Volbella – plumps lips and smooths vertical lines for 6 to 12 months
• Juvederm Vollure – enhances the lips for 12 to 18 months
• Restylane Lyft – eliminates severe facial folds for up to 12 months
• Restylane Defyne – erases lines between nose and mouth for up to 12 months
• Restylane Refyne – works on lines around nose and mouth for up to 12 months
• Radiesse – can smooth facial folds for up to 24 months
• Sculptra – addresses deep wrinkles for up to 24 months
5. Side-Effects and Potential Risks:Dermal fillers are extremely safe and dependable but remember there is always a small chance for side-effects. Side-effects of fillers are mild and include swelling, bruising, tenderness, and itching. More serious issues such as an infection or nerve damage are exceeding rare. Never get your fillers from a friend, at a house party, or in a ‘pop-up shop’. You will have no idea if an FDA-approved product will be used and risk long-term scarring or even death.
Bonus – Where do you start?Although you may do plenty of homework online, there is no substitute for an in-person filler consultation. Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics is the go-to place in Houston for consistent, natural-looking filler results, achieved in a safe, welcoming environment by a board-certified physician. Let us explain everything you can expect from your filler experience, including the potential results. Make your filler consultation with Dr. Gopathi by calling our Katy Freeway office at 281-242-1061