Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation with Minimal Scar at Houston’s Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics’August 2, 2018
Two of the most common patient concerns before a Breast Augmentation, or any other plastic surgery procedure for that matter, is: 1) Will I be in a lot of pain after my surgery? and 2) How will my scar look afterwards? Cosmetic surgery procedures of the past were famous for longer recovery times, extreme post-op discomfort, and in some cases, large and unattractive scars. Luckily, times have changed. With Dr. Ravi’s very specific steps for a Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation with Minimal Scar, patients no longer worry about these concerns. Not only is there less pain associated with his outpatient breast augmentation procedure, but the resultant scar’s appearance is significantly improved. Less pain simply means a quicker recovery, less time off work and a fast track to getting back to a regular routine!
More Comfort for a Faster Recovery
- At the beginning of his Breast Augmentation surgery, Dr. Ravi injects a mixture of short-acting and long-acting pain medications directly into your breast tissue and muscles to provide immediate and long-term pain control.
- With an immediate-acting local anesthetic in place, the Board-Certified Anesthesiologist can comfortably administer less of the inhalational anesthetic. This, in turn, leads to less nausea and vomiting immediately after the procedure and a shorter stay in the recovery room. Patients are stable, comfortable, and ready to go home faster.
- Once at home, the long-acting component of the pain medication mixture kicks in, lasting for three full days. This means much less discomfort while at home and a decreased need for narcotic pain medications.
- Typically, most of Dr. Ravi’s patients require only Extra Strength Tylenol or Tylenol with Codeine after surgery to manage their discomfort.
- Ravi strives to decrease narcotic use by his patients for multiple reasons, but the most important are to decrease constipation and decrease grogginess which can keep patients from returning to normal activities.
Minimal Scarring for Better Looking Results
- The best scars are those with the least amount of tension pulling the skin apart. That becomes difficult when you’ve just put a breast implant into the breast pocket.
- To improve the appearance of the inframammary breast augmentation scars, Dr Ravi uses a special and state-of-the-art adhesive tape attached to a plastic zip tie called the DermaClip. This allows for improved incision appearance, as the scar heals flat and smooth. By off-loading the implant’s weight on the closure, we minimize how wide the scar becomes. These adhesive strips are kept on for one to two weeks.
- At your follow-up office visit, Dr. Ravi will remove the adhesive tape and instruct the patient on how to apply silicone impregnated strips daily for the next six weeks. During this period, patients will need to manually massage the scar, as well.
- After six weeks, patients can discontinue the adhesive strips altogether, but should apply Siligen silicone scar cream twice a day, for one full year. Silicone based scar creams have shown to yield the better appearing scars when compared to non-silicone based scar creams.
- We highly recommend avoiding direct sunlight to the incision line and consistently apply SPF 30 or higher sunscreen, preventing Ultraviolet ray associated hyperpigmentation, which can permanently darken the scar.
- During the follow-up appointments, Dr. Ravi and his staff will continue to provide detailed instructions and demonstrations of each technique.