Exploring Your Breast Implant Options12/5/2018 One of the most significant benefits of breast augmentation surgery is that it is a highly customizable procedure. Some women want to restore lost breast volume. Other women want to change the shape or projection of their breasts. If you are considering breast enhancement, you probably have a specific outcome in mind that is unique to you. At Body By Ravi Plastic Surgery & Aesthetics, Dr. Ravi Somayazula will help you chose the right breast implant type to accomplish your goals.
Choosing the Right Implant Option for YouDr. Ravi takes a patient-centered approach to everything that he does. He will take the time to learn about your unique expectations for breast augmentation surgery. Then, he will work with you to create a customized plan that based on your goals and physical measurements. Today, you have more breast implant options than ever before. Some of your breast implant choices include:
- Material: All breast implants have a silicone shell, but are filled with either silicone gel or saline. Silicone implants tend to be popular, as they look and feel more like natural breasts. On the other hand, saline implants require a smaller surgical incision since they are filled after placement. Silicone implants with a thicker consistency are called form- stable or “gummy bear” implants.
- Shape: Breast implants come in two different shapes: round and anatomic. Anatomic implants are also known as teardrop implants, and they are fuller at the bottom than at the top. Teardrop shaped implants can help correct specific aesthetic issues. Round implants have a lower complication rate than anatomic implants, because anatomic implants may rotate after placement.
- Size: Cup sizes vary widely across bra manufacturers and are not a reliable measurement. Implants are not measured by cup size, but rather by volume in cubic centimeters. You will be able to try different sizes out in the office using breast implant sizers. Sizers can give you an idea of what different implant volumes might look like under your clothing.
- Texture: Women have a choice between smooth and textured implants. Smooth implants tend to feel soft and can move naturally within the breast pocket. Textured implants hold the implant in place, reducing movement within the breast pocket.
- Profile: Implant profile plays a significant role in the degree of breast projection that you will have after your augmentation. Low profile implants have a wide base and a lower projection. High profile implants have a narrow base and a greater projection.