Do you have stubborn fat that will not disappear from your face or neck despite a healthy diet and consistent exercise plan? This is a common issue for many men and women, regardless of their age, weight, or build. Often the result of genetics and the normal aging process, this accumulation submental fat, more commonly called the double chin, can significantly age the appearance and detract from otherwise attractive facial features.
As one of Houston’s most trusted, Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons, Dr. Ravi Somayazula, is here to help with frustrating fat along the jaw and neck using his customizable chin and neck liposuction procedure. The same beloved surgery that has helped countless men and women achieve slimmer bodies can also be used to refine and rejuvenate the face, as well.
“Both men and women express their dissatisfaction with unsightly accumulation of fat at the lower part of their face leading to a double chin. This can cause their faces to prematurely age as well as give a false sense of being overweight. A neck lift is not appropriate for everyone with this problem and the desired outcome can be accomplished with liposuction alone or liposuction with radiofrequency FaceTite.” – Dr. Ravi SomayazulaFacial (chin and neck) liposuction can:
- Eliminate your double chin (submental fat)
- Remove fat along your checks (a “baby face” or “chipmunk” appearance)
- Address other pockets of facial fat that prove resistant to diet and exercise
- Sculpt the tissue along your neck
- Define your jawline and bring balance to the facial features
- Provide long-lasting facial rejuvenation
These before & after photos are from a specific patient. Results may vary. Schedule a personalized consultation with our doctor to learn more.
Chin and neck contouring are performed using a minimally invasive liposuction technique designed especially for the tight area at and below the jawline. Using very tiny incisions that will ultimately disappear, the unwanted fat is gently removed, creating a firmer, smoother, and more refined appearance. The procedure can dramatically improve the overall look, balancing the surrounding facial features, including the nose and cheekbones. Best of all, the eliminated fatty tissue will not return, meaning long-lasting facial rejuvenation. Depending on your quality of skin, liposuction alone may be enough to tighten the skin in that area, but if you are a little bit older or already have loose skin in that area you can benefit from combining FaceTite and Morpheus8 treatments.
AT THE CONSULTATION
Plan on spending about an hour at your initial chin liposuction consultation with Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Associates. Dr. Ravi and your patient care coordinator will spend the necessary time to discuss the options and techniques available to improve the look of your chin and neck. A thorough examination will be performed to evaluate the fat deposits and your skin elasticity. Patients with good skin elasticity can achieve a beautiful contouring of the neck with liposuction alone, however, others may require some minor skin tightening. Keeping your personal aesthetic goals in mind, Dr. Ravi will create the ideal treatment plan, which may include additional techniques such as dermal fillers to improve the shape of the jawline. During your consultation, Dr. Ravi may also discuss Kybella® as a noninvasive alternative to chin liposuction, should it be right for you.
During this appointment, Dr. Ravi will make sure you learn all that is necessary in order to make an informed decision regarding your upcoming procedure. You will not feel any pressure to move forward and will be encouraged to ask as many questions as you like. At this time, the exact price of your chin liposuction will be determined, and our patient coordinator will review all of your payment options.
“The minute I met Dr. Ravi I instantly felt comfortable with him. He has great bedside manners, was very thorough, and really took the time to make sure all of my questions were answered.”
– Donna P., Houston, TX
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR CHIN LIPOSUCTION?
Almost any healthy patient with realistic expectations is an excellent candidate for chin or neck liposuction. For the best outcome with liposuction alone, patients should have good tissue elasticity, usually still seen in those under the age of 40 to 45. Taut tissue ensures that once the fat cells are eliminated, the skin will bounce back, providing the desired facial contours. If the skin is very lax, it can droop; in this case, combining FaceTite and Morpheus8 treatments to tighten the stretched out skin. Additionally, Dr. Ravi recommends that patients be at a stable and healthy weight before considering chin and neck liposuction. As with other fat reduction procedures, facial liposuction is not a weight loss solution or an alternative to diet and exercise.
THE PRE-LIPOSUCTION EVALUATION
Two to three weeks prior to your procedure, an appointment is scheduled to allow you time to sign all informed consent forms, and have your ‘before’ photos taken. You will meet again with Dr. Ravi to review a detailed informational packet containing specific instructions for before and after your upcoming liposuction procedure, as well as a complete list of “dos and don’ts”. Dr. Ravi will write the necessary prescriptions, including an antibiotic, pain and anti-nausea medications as needed. These should be filled prior to the day of surgery. Be prepared to follow all of these instructions closely to ensure the best possible results.
To prevent excessive bruising, we recommend stopping the use of aspirin and all other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as Ibuprofen) for at least one week before and one week after your chin liposuction. Herbs and supplements should also be stopped for at least one week prior to the procedure as this can delay healing. To minimize potential complications, all patients must stop smoking at least four weeks before the procedure and not resume nicotine products until four weeks after their chin liposuction.
THE CHIN LIPOSUCTION PROCEDURE
The duration of your surgery will depend on the extent of correction desired and if any additional procedures will be performed. On average, chin liposuction can take about one hour. The outpatient procedure can be performed under general or local anesthesia at an accredited hospital or surgical center. For your safety, each procedure will be monitored by a board-certified anesthesiologist.
Dr. Ravi begins his chin liposuction by making a couple of tiny incisions along the target area. From here, a cannula (a small, hollow tube) will be inserted. As Dr. Ravi breaks up the fatty tissue, it is suctioned away through the cannula. The removal of unwanted fat cells will continue until Dr. Ravi has sculpted the chin and neck, achieving the desired results.
Expect to see some localized swelling, bruising, and discoloration immediately after your chin liposuction procedure. Temporary numbness and tingling are also possibly, but not common. Post-op discomfort is generally mild and manageable. Over the next seven to ten days, the bruising and swelling will improve. By about 6 weeks you with notice a slimmer facial profile and a well-defined chin.
A chin strap or compression wrap will be put in place immediately following your procedure. This will aid in the prevention of fluid collection and minimize swelling. Dr. Ravi will provide specific instructions on your chin strap, which will need to be worn initially around the clock, then only at night. Most of your daily activities can be resumed within a few days, however, exercise and heavy lifting should be postponed until you feel back to normal.
While Dr. Ravi’s chin liposuction incisions are meticulously placed, scarring may initially appear red or raised. Over the next couple of months, this discoloration will fade, becoming less noticeable and well-hidden in the natural contours of the jawline. Results from chin liposuction can be seen almost immediately. As the swelling diminishes and the area heals, you will begin to see a more contoured chin and sculpted jawline. Dr. Ravi is able to achieve such natural-looking results with his chin liposuction procedure that your friends and family will never know anything was done - unless you let them in on your secret!
WHY CHOOSE BODY BY RAVI PLASTIC SURGERY AND AESTHETICS FOR YOUR CHIN LIPOSUCTION?
Dr. Ravi Somayazula is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He has over 10 years of plastic, cosmetic, and reconstructive surgery experience. Trained at Rutgers University and New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Ravi completed his general surgery residency at the University of Massachusetts at Berkshire Medical Center, followed by a highly competitive fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Lahey Clinic and Brigham and Women’s Hospital at Harvard Medical School. Patient safety and a gentle, informative bedside manner are the cornerstones of Dr. Ravi’s practice, ensuring every patient is comfortable with their procedure and satisfied with their results.
Basic information on the internet is a good place to start researching chin liposuction, however, it is no substitute for a personal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. This appointment provides a private and confidential time for Dr. Ravi to answer all of your questions about facial (chin and neck) liposuction in-depth, as they relate to your unique situation. Dr. Ravi and the team at Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics will be here to guide you through all of the vital steps of an informed decision-making process and we will map out the chin liposuction treatment plan that best fits your needs.
We invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Ravi today. Call Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics at 281.242.1061 or fill out our online Contact Us form to have our patient coordinator reach out to you.
CHIN LIPOSUCTION FAQ:
- What is chin liposuction? Chin or neck liposuction is a minimally invasive technique used to sculpt the lower face from the jawline down to the neck. Genetics, weight fluctuations, and the normal aging process can cause extra pockets of stubborn fat to accumulate under the chin and across the neck, lovingly referred to as a double chin. The chin liposuction procedure eliminates this excess fatty tissue and fullness in this area, contouring the neck and chin for a more graceful and youthful appearance.
- Am I a good candidate for a breast augmentation? Almost any woman who is looking to improve the shape or size of her chest may be a potential candidate for the breast augmentation procedure. An ideal candidate will be over 18, with fully matured breasts, and in overall good health. Potential patients should have a full understanding of the surgical process and hold realistic expectations for the final results.
- Could I make a good candidate for chin liposuction with Dr. Ravi? The ideal chin liposuction patient will be in overall good health. Patients who are struggling with a double chin or puffy, bulky fat along their jawline and neck will see excellent results from the technique, especially if they still have reasonably good skin elasticity. Candidates will understand the procedure, commit to the recovery guidelines, and will hold reasonable expectations for their chin liposuction results. A confidential consultation will be arranged with Dr. Ravi prior to scheduling your procedure; at this time, it will be determined if chin liposuction is the right technique for your needs.
- When can I return to work after my breast augmentation procedure? While the recovery from a breast augmentation take approximately one week, most women are feeling good enough to return to work or school in three to five days.
- What can I expect to improve with chin liposuction? Chin liposuction can successfully improve submental fat, or the double chin, as well as fullness down the neck. Performed alone, chin liposuction can enhance the appearance, taking years off your look. When combined with additional techniques, such as a neck lift to remove stretch skin, or dermal fillers, adding definition to the jawline and facial feature, optimal results can be seen.
- How long does chin liposuction take to perform? Dr. Ravi’s chin liposuction procedure is performed in a local, accredited surgical suite under full or local anesthesia. The outpatient technique takes about one hour to perform. Patients will be resting at home the same afternoon.
- When can I go back to work after my chin liposuction? In general, most patients are feeling well enough to return to work three to four days after their chin liposuction procedure. Initially, a head wrap or chin strap will need to be worn to promote healing, skin tightening and diminish swelling. This strap can be worn only at night when instructed by Dr. Ravi. Bruising and swelling are common during this time, but these will diminish over the first post-op week.
- How much does Dr. Ravi’s chin liposuction cost? The cost of your chin liposuction procedure will vary according to your unique situation, including the extent of correction and what, if any, additional techniques will be performed. In general, the procedure can range from $2,500 to $6,500 with the addition of FaceTite and Morpheus8. At Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics, the price we quote you will be all-inclusive. This covers the surgeon’s fees, anesthesiologist’s fees, the operating suite, compression garments, and follow-up appointments. During your consultation appointment, Dr. Ravi will create your individual chin liposuction treatment plan and determine the exact cost of your procedure. Our patient coordinator will also review all of your payment options, including medical financing.
Schedule a Consultation