“It is a gratifying experience to see the transformation in women—ranging in age from teenagers into their 60s—who are initially shy and self-conscious due to their large breasts. Many times, they walk in hunched over and trying to hide their breasts. After undergoing a breast reduction, exude happiness and newfound self-confidence. Due to an immediate improvement in neck, back, and shoulder pain they develop a new sense of joy participating in activities they were not able to before.”
-Dr. Ravi Somayazula
Every day, thousands of women in the Houston-area are struggling with uncomfortably large breasts, which in-turn, can cause intense discomfort that will negatively impact their life and disrupt regular, day-to-day activities. Fortunately, there is a solution. The breast reduction, or reduction mammoplasty, is a long-trusted surgical procedure designed to reduce the size of heavy, pendulous breasts. At Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics, Dr. Ravi Somayazula offers Houston a safe and effective solution to large breasts.
As a board certified, Harvard-trained plastic surgeon, specializing in breast surgery, Dr. Ravi has extensive experience helping women improve their body proportions by lifting and reducing their breast size. His cutting-edge techniques will not only remove excess skin, fat and glandular breast tissue, but the remaining tissue will be shaped to give a natural and proportionate appearance. During surgery, the nipple and areolar complex is repositioned to give a lift, as well. Although most women are simply ecstatic with the elimination of their symptoms, Dr. Ravi strives to produce a beautiful overall shape.
These before & after photos are from a specific patient. Results may vary. Schedule a personalized consultation with our doctor to learn more.
“I have seen a couple doctors before I decided to go with Ravi. Why? He was personable, asked many questions about my health and my desired results, he showed me he cared so I trusted him to do my surgery. The surgery is not easy, it is a long recovery but the end result is incredible. Every week it gets better and better and my confidence is back. I can fit and look good in clothes that I thought I could never wear and most important for me I can wear my two piece bathing suit again. I would recommend Ravi to anyone! He will take good care of you.”
– Anna F., Houston, TX
REASONS WOMEN CHOOSE A BREAST REDUCTION
Large, heavy breasts can cause a myriad of physical issues, including chafing, skin infections, and painful shoulder groove marks from bra straps. Other common problems include shoulder, neck, and back pain, which make exercise and even the most common activities difficult. Additionally, large breasts can bring unwarranted attention to the chest, as clothing and swimwear may fit poorly or too tight. A breast lift will eliminate the excess tissue, creating breasts that look natural and proportionate with a woman’s unique body type.
THE IDEAL BREAST REDUCTION CANDIDATE
An ideal candidate for a breast reduction will be in overall good physical and emotional health, with no history of irregular mammograms, severe obesity, diabetes, blood clotting disorders, heart disease, or tendency for hypertrophic scarring. Patients should also be a nonsmoker. Potential reduction mammoplasty patients should understand the surgical procedure, the recovery requirements, and hold realistic expectations for the final results. In some cases, a medical clearance may be needed from the primary care physician.
THE BREAST REDUCTION CONSULTATION
The initial surgical consultation with Dr. Ravi plays an extremely important role in the breast reduction process. This is an opportunity for the surgeon to get to know more about your needs and aesthetic concerns. It also provides a chance for you to meet the staff at Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics, and begin to feel comfortable at our office. To ensure a thorough appointment, please put aside at least an hour for your initial consultation appointment.
During the consultation, Dr. Ravi will perform a thorough medical evaluation. He will explain your breast reduction options and show before/after photographs of his recent reduction mammoplasty patients. Dr. Ravi will make sure all your questions are answered, ensuring an informed-decision about the surgical procedure.
If the breast reduction is determined to be the right choice, Dr. Ravi will create a personalized treatment plan, taking into account your exact breast and body measurements, along with your overall body proportions. Also at this appointment, the exact price of your reduction mammoplasty will be determined. Your patient care coordinator will review all the available payment options and financing choices.
BREAST REDUCTION TECHNIQUES
Dr. Ravi will recommend one of several different breast reduction techniques, each of which can be customized to achieve the desired aesthetic results. The right technique for your unique needs will be determined during the consultation appointment.
- Circumareolar Breast Reduction – incision is made only around the areola–also known as the Doughnut incision.
- Circumvertical Breast Reduction – incision is made around the areola with a vertical incision down to the breast fold. This is also known as the Lollipop reduction or short scar breast reduction.
- Wise-Pattern Breast Reduction – the most commonly used technique, it includes an incision around the areola, vertical line to the mammary crease, and a horizontal line at the crease.
- Liposuction-Assisted Breast Reduction – in a few cases, liposuction alone or in conjunction with one of the above techniques can be utilized.
THE BREAST REDUCTION PRE-OP APPOINTMENT:
Every patient will meet with Dr. Ravi for a pre-op appointment, approximately two weeks prior to their reduction mammoplasty procedure. At this time, Dr. Ravi will provide specific instructions, including the dos and don’ts for the recovery period. Prescriptions for an antibiotic, anti-nausea medications, and pain medications will be provided during this visit; these should be filled prior to the date of surgery. Pictures will be taken and this is your opportunity to ask any last-minute questions before consent forms are signed.For a safe surgical procedure, and successful recovery, please remember:
- Stop taking aspirin and NSAIDS, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Ibuprofen, one week before surgery. To prevent unexpected bleeding and bruising, remain off these medications for at least a week after the procedure, as well.
- Herbal supplements should be stopped a week prior to the breast reduction. To prevent delayed wound healing, women should not plan on resuming herbal supplements until one week after surgery.
- Smoking and all nicotine products, including e-cigarettes, must be stopped four weeks before surgery. Do not resume smoking until at least four weeks after your breast reduction. This is vital to minimize the chance for complications.
THE BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY
Dr. Ravi’s breast reduction will take from two to four hours to perform. General anesthesia is used for the outpatient procedure, using a board-certified anesthesiologist. However, in some cases, an overnight stay may be recommended, depending on the individual patient and the extent of correction.
Depending on the exact chosen technique, Dr. Ravi may begin by making an incision, around the nipple then vertically down the breast, and across the breast crease. From here, excess tissue and skin will be removed, while the breasts are lifted to attain a more appropriate size and shape. An internal support system is created from the excess skin, providing a “permanent bra” to increase support and perkiness for years to come. Once the excess tissue is eliminated, the breast and nipple are lifted and reshaped for the desired effect. The nipple remains intact with the essential underlying blood and nerve supply. However, be advised that there is a small chance of inability to breastfeed as well as nipple numbness after the procedure. Dr. Ravi additionally uses internal pedicle-shaping sutures which allows for an improved aesthetic shape to the breasts.
Once the desired results have been achieved, Dr. Ravi will suture the incisions and place a compression garment to encourage healing while reducing swelling.
GETTING BACK TO NORMAL AFTER A BREAST REDUCTION
Initially, women can expect to be tender and sore after their reduction mammoplasty. Dr. Ravi suggests having a spouse, friend, or family member’s assistance for at least the first 24 hours following surgery. Mild to moderate discomfort and heaviness may be felt across the chest for several days. While you may be sore, patients are encouraged to begin walking the afternoon of surgery. Within 48 hours, most women are feeling well enough to perform light, everyday activities. Many are back to work after one to two weeks; however everyone heals at a unique pace. Strenuous activities and exercise should be postponed for four to six weeks.
Patients are required to wear a support garment to help support the breasts after surgery. Drains may potentially be placed during surgery, depending on the size of the reduction. If so, these are generally removed during the first in-office follow-up appointment. Swelling is normal and can be expected for several weeks.
It is very important to sleep only on your back for at least six weeks after the breast reduction surgery. Due to normal breast swelling, patients should wait three months after surgery to be fitted for a new bra. During the healing process, Dr. Ravi and his team will be available to answer any questions that arise.
CONTACT BODY BY RAVI PLASTIC SURGERY AND AESTHETICS TO SCHEDULE YOUR BREAST REDUCTION CONSULTATION
Although browsing the Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics website can provide basic information about the breast reduction procedure, there is no substitute for an in-person examination with our board certified plastic surgeon. Contact our Houston office at 281.241.1061 with your breast reduction questions or to schedule your consultation appointment. We will be happy to address any concerns and walk you through the reduction mammoplasty process, step-by-step.
Schedule a Consultation
BREAST REDUCTION FAQ:
- What is a reduction mammoplasty? A breast reduction, sometimes referred to as a reduction mammoplasty, is a surgical technique designed to decrease the size of large, heavy breasts. Dr. Ravi’s breast reduction is uniquely created to improve the sagging associated with large breasts, ensuring the chest is proportionate with the body type for a natural-looking result.
- Who is a good candidate for breast reduction at Body by Ravi Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery? Almost any woman who is in overall good health, yet struggling with heavy, pendulous breasts, may make a good candidate for a reduction mammoplasty. The ideal patient will understand the breast reduction procedure and have realistic expectations for her final results. Many women have neck, back and shoulder pain as well as rashes and shoulder grooving which is relieved with a breast reduction. Some women may not have these symptoms but their large breasts cause embarrassment and unwanted stares. They may even have difficulty exercising and participating in certain recreational activities.
- Where are the incisions placed during my reduction mammoplasty? To begin the breast reduction, Dr. Ravi will make an inverted T incision along the breast. This thin incision will run around the nipple/areola, straight down the breast. In many cases, Dr. Ravi will include a horizontal incision across the breast crease, as well. This allows Dr. Ravi to successfully excise excess glandular and fatty tissue, as well as to remove unwanted skin, creating the desired breast shape and height.
- Will my breast reduction leave scars? Yes, patients will have thin scars along the incision lines, after a reduction mammoplasty. However, the extent of scarring will depend on the individual patient. In most cases, the scarring will fade slightly over time, although it does remain visible. The breast reduction has one of the highest patient satisfaction ratings out of all the plastic surgery procedure performed today, meaning the most of Dr. Ravi’s patients are so pleased with their results, the scarring is of little consequence. We also offer silicone bases scar creams that have proven to improve the look and texture of scars over time.
- What are the potential risks and complications associated with a breast reduction? Dr. Ravi has been performing his breast reduction procedure for more than a decade, making it a safe and effective procedure. While the incidence of complications is rare, as a surgical procedure, there is always a small risk. Complications can include unexpected bleeding, scarring, infection, hematoma, nerve damage, and asymmetry. There is also a small risk of problems with breast feeding.