Weight fluctuations, poor tissue elasticity, and the normal aging process can all contribute to an accumulation of loose, stretched skin around the midsection. Unfortunately, diet and exercise do little to improve this unsightly skin and fat. Although the abdomen is the most common area of frustration, major weight loss patients may also notice lax tissue appear along the buttocks, thighs, lower back, and upper arms.
To eliminate the stubborn stretched skin and fatty deposits that remain after a large weight loss, Dr. Ravi Somayazula offers the body lift procedure. Also known as a belt-lipectomy, the body lift removes stretched tissue, restoring taut, youthful physical contours. For some patients, this procedure may mark the first time they have experienced a shapely silhouette. Dr. Ravi’s body lift can improve the stomach, waist, flanks, and thighs. Harvard trained and board-certified, Dr. Ravi is committed to bringing a custom-tailored body contouring procedure to every patient, offering long-lasting, life-changing results.
“I applaud all men and women who have worked hard to lose substantial amounts of weight for both health and aesthetic reasons. Unfortunately, they are often left with significant excess skin that causes more embarrassment and unhappiness. Understanding proper anatomy to artistically remove the excess skin to remodel the body is key to helping patients regain their confidence.” – Dr. Ravi Somayazula
Benefits of a Body Lift Procedure:
After a successful major weight loss, many patients are disappointed to find inches of lax skin still remain. This stretched tissue simply cannot ‘snap back’ into shape, as nothing restores the diminished tissue elasticity. Unfortunately, this crepe-like skin can ultimately keep individuals from showing off their new, thinner body in tight clothing or swimwear.
Dr. Ravi’s body lift procedure was specifically designed to meticulously excise this stretched skin, and lift up the remaining skin. For best results, Dr. Ravi can use liposuction to further contour the figure. Additional techniques, such as the brachioplasty, can offer optimal body contouring benefits.
A Body Lift Can:
- Improve sagging abdominal skin
- Raise asymmetrical, flat, or low buttocks
- Lift and smooth lower back
- Tighten and lift inner and outer thighs
- Sculpt tissue around the groin
Choosing a Body Lift at Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics:
Dr. Ravi Somayazula is a Harvard trained plastic surgeon and the founder of Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics. Dr. Ravi has extensive experience in the full range of cosmetic breast and body procedures, including Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck, and other body contouring techniques such as Liposuction. Bringing a patient-centered practice to Houston, Dr. Ravi is known for taking his time with each client, getting to know their needs and lifestyle before creating an individualized treatment plan. Easily earning his patient’s confidence, Dr. Ravi brings a wonderful, kind bedside manner, creating a trusting relationship with each individual he treats. Dr. Ravi and his outstanding staff of aesthetic processionals work together to achieve the desired short-term and long-term results. For this reason, Dr. Ravi is one of Houston’s most sought-after body contouring surgeons.
The Ideal Body Lift Candidate
The Body Lift was created for those patients frustrated with excess skin and fat along their midsection, lower back, and hips. An ideal candidate will be close to their ideal weight, in good health, and a nonsmoker. Additionally, patients should understand the surgical procedure and hold realistic expectations for their final results. The body lift is intended to reduce excess skin and fat along the stomach, waist, back, and thighs. The technique, however, should not be considered a substitute for weight loss.
Your Body Lift Consultation and Physical Examination
Prior to arranging a Body Lift procedure, a confidential consultation will be scheduled with Dr. Ravi at the Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics office. Potential patients should set aside one to two hours for this appointment, as Dr. Ravi will take his time getting to know the individual, their desires, medical history, and lifestyle. He will discuss the various options and techniques for body contouring, answering any questions along the way. During the physical examination, Dr. Ravi will evaluate the current size, shape, and skin elasticity across the area needing correction. Precise measurements will be taken at this time, helping Dr. Ravi determine the optimal body lift technique and any complimentary procedures that should be recommended.
The Body Lift Pre-Op Appointment
Approximately two weeks before the body lift procedure, Dr. Ravi will once again see each patient in his office. During this time, Dr. Ravi and his staff will review what is expected before, during, and after the upcoming surgical procedure. If there are any remaining questions, he will answer them at this time. A set of ‘before’ photographs will be taken, to be compared with the final, ‘after’ pictures taken after the recovery. Dr. Ravi’s patient coordinator will provide any final documents that need to be signed. Finally, Dr. Ravi will provide prescriptions, which need to be filled prior to the day of surgery, including pain and anti-nausea medications and an antibiotic.
Avoid post-op complications by:
- Stopping aspirin and NSAIDS for a week before and a week after surgery
- Stopping herbs and supplements for a week prior and week after surgery
- Stopping smoking four weeks before surgery; do not restart until at least four weeks after surgery
- Carefully follow all of Dr. Ravi’s recovery instructions and contact the office immediately should any questions arise
The Body Lift Procedure
Dr. Ravi’s Body Lift procedure will be performed at a local, accredited surgical center, under the care of a board-certified anesthesiologist. Depending on the specified techniques included in the body lift, the surgical procedure can take from four to six hours. Many body lift procedures are performed on an out-patient basis, however as needed, Dr. Ravi may suggest an overnight hospital stay for a more comfortable recovery.
A thin, circumferential incision is first made, going around the body, across the lower abdomen and above the buttocks. From here, Dr. Ravi will excise the stretched skin and fat. Using liposuction, he will further contour the waist and flanks. Finally, the remaining skin and muscles will be pulled taut at an appropriate position. Sutures are placed for proper healing before a compression garment is put in place. Drains may be used to avoid fluid buildup. In this case, Dr. Ravi will remove drains during the follow-up appointment.
Getting Back to Normal After a Body Lift
The recovery from a Body Lift will take two to three weeks. Every patient will heal at their own pace, and the specific recovery will depend on the number of techniques performed and the extent of each procedure. Although patients are initially tired and sore, most people are feeling well enough to return to work or school in two weeks or less. During the initial recovery period, patient can expect swelling and mild to moderate discomfort. Assistance around the house or with young children is encouraged during this first days of a body lift recovery.
Dr. Ravi encourages his patients to walk several times each day, beginning the same day as surgery. Normal physical activities can be slowly added over the next three to ten days. However, strenuous activities and vigorous exercise should be postponed for four to six weeks, or until approval has been granted from Dr. Ravi. During the weeks to follow surgery, follow-up appointments will be scheduled with Dr. Ravi. These are an important part of the recovery process and should not be missed, as Dr. Ravi will keep a close eye on your body’s healing.
The Body Lift procedure is a safe and satisfying surgery when performed by an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Ravi. As with any surgical procedure, complications can occur. These include infection, bleeding, and scarring. More serious issues, such as nerve damage, are rare but can occur. Dr. Ravi will carefully go over the chance for complications during the consultation appointment.
Get started with a body contouring procedure with Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics:
The Body by Ravi Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics office is located on the Katy Freeway, easily reached from all areas of Houston, including Memorial and Katy. Our state-of-the-art office is both comfortortable and private. Contact a patient coordinator to schedule your body contouring consultation with Dr. Ravi by calling 281.242.1061, or simply fill out our online Contact Us form.
Body Lift FAQ:
- What is a Body Lift? A Body Lift, sometimes referred to as a belt-lipectomy, is a surgical procedure designed to eliminate stretched skin and fatty tissue from the stomach, buttocks, hips, and thighs. During the surgery, Dr. Ravi will excise the lax skin then lift remaining the tissue to create a contoured physique. With a continued healthy diet and routine exercise schedule, the benefits of a Body Lift can be long-lasting.
- Will, I make a good candidate for a Body Lift? If you are interested in eliminating excess, stretched skin and fat around the midsection, then a Body Lift procedure might be for you. The ideal candidate will be in overall good health, close to their ideal body weight, and hold reasonable expectations for the surgical procedure. During a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Ravi, it will be determined if you are a good candidate for the body lift at this time.
- What kind of scarring can I expect from my Body Lift? Dr. Ravi’s Body Lift will utilize a circumferential incision, running around the body, along the beltline or lower abdomen. A scar will remain along the incision line; however, it will be easily concealed under clothing, and over time, may fade.
- How long is the Body Lift procedure? The Body Lift is a custom-tailored procedure, so surgery times will vary according to the individual patient. On average, Dr. Ravi’s body lift procedures will take from four to six hours.
- When can I return to work after a Body Lift? Most of Dr. Ravi’s Body Lift patients are feeling good enough to return to work in two weeks or less. The initial recovery time will vary from patient to patient.